Thursday 16 February 2012

Chesterville Spin In

I was invited to be a vendor at the annual Spin In that took place in Chesterville. I was delighted to see all the different types of spinning wheels.  There were Ashfords, Louets, and even a mechanized spinner, made by Hansen ,that I have never seen before.  People got down to business with their spinning wheels.  Apparently the preferred way to spin is in sock feet !  Many women had aprons or silk cloths on their lap to keep the fleece from matting on them.

The real treat for me was to see an actual walking wheel or great wheel being demonstrated. I was amazed to see how much room you need to use this wheel.  You really have to move your body to spin with it.

So many wonderful people, such a great time.

Display for my shawl pins


A demonstration of Kumihimo, a Japanese braiding technique

A painted landscape on this lady's spinning wheel



This is what I bought , it should make my plying from my drop spindles easier

The coolest little Hansen spinner

A walking wheel or great wheel



More beautiful art work
I have been meaning to join the Ontario Handweavers & Spinners group.www.ohs.on.ca Take a look and consider joining , their magazine is worth the price of membership.

No comments:

Post a Comment